Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Obedience Is Obedience

Obedience...  A constant struggle in my life.  I have struggled with letting God take over and allowing Him to lead.  I seem to have a tough time giving up control, or so I've been told.  I don't think there are many of us out there that can say they "give it up" well.  What I have noticed is that we do have a tendency to compare one persons call to another and apply "levels of difficulty" to obedience and I have been guilty.

When Brian started feeling the pull to ministry and more so to Haiti, I had this picture in my head of what missionaries looked like.  Oh my goodness, we were so not it!  Then I started reading this blog of a family living in Haiti.  They were so much like us, but they were doing something so big.  I could never do what they've done.      

What I have learned over the last couple of years is that all they're doing is being obedient.  For their family, living in Haiti is what obedience looks like.  For my family, Harvest Field and adopting Merline is what obedience looks like.  For other people obedience looks like feeding the hungry, literally or spiritually, in another country or in your city.  For others being obedient looks like homeschooling your children.

The point is that we are all called by God to action and that includes being obedient, whatever that looks like.

"Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me."  John 12:26

No comments:

Post a Comment