Wednesday, January 4, 2012

We're Back!

It's been a while since I've blogged.  There's a reason for that...  I have been in a struggle.  Several struggles, actually, and I haven't had a lot to say that I felt I could share.  Translated: " If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  I tend to be a little bit stubborn (yes, I know, shocking) and it has taken me a while to accept what God was trying to do with me.  Even in the struggles God is always faithful to stay by us.  We are definitely a work in progress.  Here's an update of what we've been doing. 

The update on Merline's adoption is this:  yes, we are still waiting.  Yes, Merline is still waiting.  Yes, Merline is getting older and we are losing time with each other.  Yes, we have done absolutely everything we can do to try and get her home, including trying things I swore I would never try.  Yes, it hurts, and not only us, but Merline, Riley, Emmie, and Molly too.  Yes, I cringe and feel like screaming every time someone asks about progress (even though it's well meaning and I really do appreciate the concern).  I have no answers to give.  All I know is that God has to be in control of it all and the fact that I am still able to get out of bed in the mornings and be somewhat productive is proof of His presence. 

The hold up on the adoption is that one of  the main papers we needed, a presidential dispensation, was completed with our last name spelled wrong.  It was spelled Loyd instead of Lloyd.  The irony of this is that Brian's dad's birth certificate was spelled wrong by the delivering doctor and the rest of his family spells their name Loyd.  We are the only 2 L Lloyds in the family.  REALLY?!?  Anyway, the paper was completed by the outgoing presidential administration in Haiti and the new administration refused to simply fix the document, they required us to go through the process again.  The first time was 6 months.  This time was about 4 months, but we have the new dispensation and it has been legalized.  This was a huge hurdle for us.  We don't know for sure how long it will be now before she comes home, but we are thrilled to be past this point.

We are also really concerned for Merline's health.  While I was in Haiti at the beginning of December I found out that Merline was getting sick quite a bit.  She told me that she was throwing up after eating almost every time she ate and had been doing it for almost 3 months.  I was shocked and worried.  I was so blessed to have my really good friend and our pediatrician, Abby, with us.  She watched her and checked on her and ended up calling home and getting medicines ready for another group to bring the following week.  We kind of landed it possibly being an ulcer being exacerbated by the stress of being the oldest and most responsible girl in the orphanage and the stress of knowing that she should be coming home and she's not.  During my visit there wasn't a 15 minute period Merline could sit without being called to help one of the younger girls.  Yes, it's Haiti and, yes, this is typical, but it's not easy.

We have researched the possibility of getting a medical visa and learned that it really wasn't an option for her.  We were also afraid that it would cause issues with the adoption and we don't want that.  We just want her home with us where we can care of her and she can be a kid for a while.   

Riley, Emmie, and Molly are all doing okay, but miss their sister and have moments of tears and "whys" for which we have no answers.  The good thing is that we have been put in a place where all we can do is trust God.  He started this craziness and I know He will finish it.

As for Harvest Field Ministries, God has been more than faithful.  There have been so many things that have been evidence that God is driving this train and we are just along for the ride.  The relationships that have grown with the people we're working with in Les Anglais, Haiti are great.  It's so clear that the people we are working with there are God led and willing to follow God's call regardless of the strain it may put on their lives.  It seems that our experiences in Haiti have taught us to second guess the motives and the heart of anyone we come in contact with.  It is becoming clear that Pastor Ivan and his family are not "typical" and we have much to learn from them.

The main lesson God has been trying to teach me in the last few months is to just trust Him.  Though I am not one to relinquish control easily, I am starting to understand that if I just let go He will take care of the things I've been struggling with for so long.  Whether it's forgiveness or my lack of faith or my sweet little girl, He holds it all, along with me.

1 comment:

  1. My heart aches for you all. Brian filled us in on this when we were in TN a few weeks ago. I also saw your post on facebook. I have been praying for God to PLEASE intervene and get Merline home ASAP. Your words about trusting and depending upon God are so true. We've been growing in that area as well, though not so difficult circumstances. We love you and your family. We will continue to pray and look forward to rejoicing and praising with you when Merline is home with you!

    ReplyDelete